Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Should You Install a Short Shift Kit???

People ask me, "Should I put a short shift kit in my car?". The answer is... It depends!

If you feel the "throw" (movement of the shifter) is too great, yes. If you want to make quicker shifts, yes. If you want to be "cool", yes.

If you don't have the strongest arms, or if you have carpal tunnel syndrome, no. Why? Because the shifter is shorter in length, which means you have to use more force to move the shift lever. Adding a short shift kit also makes it more difficult to get the car into the correct gear slot, a bit more "notchy", if you will.

My daily driver 98 BMW M3 has, I feel, a great throw and doesn't need to be changed. OTOH, I've driven an 03 Porsche Boxster S on the lot and feel it needs a short shift kit; the movement is too long. There's an 01 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra on the lot with a short shift, and I feel it's too short and notchy. Were I keeping the Cobra, I'd readjust the linkage to add some additional "throw". Most short shift kits are adjustable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Automobile Blog Top Sites Blog Directory Top 
Blog Sites Blog Directory & Search engine Listed in LS Blogs Blogarama - The Blogs Directory