Tuesday, August 15, 2006

How to Sell to Women?

I have to confess, I'm disadvantaged in some ways. Try as they might, my parents didn't produce any sister-siblings for me. I ended up with four brothers. Go figure. When women became 'interesting' to me, they were blossoming and I really didn't have much to relate to.

I read an article in USA Today about the new trend of "Pickup Artists", and how there are schools popping up where men learn to better meet women and keep the woman's interest in the first three minutes. The article suggests that most women appreciate the more 'polished' approach by men as opposed to the bumbling newbie. (You'll note on my website homepage that I don't have any bumbling newbie salespeople.

What does this have to do with a car blog??? To me: a lot. Half of my customers really ought to be women. Some are single, some married; all need cars if they're over 18, unless they live in Manhattan and I haven't delivered one there lately. (I will...hint, hint). I may be delivering a BMW to a woman in Seattle in 2 weeks...we'll see. That's a long way from Dallas.

My close friends tell me that I don't look like the typical salesman. Boy am I thankful about that. I donated my old plaid sport coat to charity last year. :-) I'm a soft sell. I'm more than willing to talk ad nauseum about cars until people need to wrap duct tape around their head to keep it from exploding. But not selling, just talking.

And my talking with women can be a lot like talking with men. I know a bunch of men, and I really do mean this, who don't know any more about cars than putting gas in them. For anyone coming up to the dealership asking about cars, I assess what they know and I help educate them from there, regardless.

Bottom Line: Women don't need to feel any more overwhelmed about the carbuying process than men do. Sure, men may thump their chest more, but inside most lack every detail of knowledge about cars and buying them.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My comment is that women are getting smarter everyday about purchasing a car. They do know how to surf the net just like the guys do and they can find out anything they want or need to know about automobiles and any particular automobile that catches their eye. What women don't like is when salesmen say things like "aren't these seats comfy?" and "see the large flip-down mirrors in the visors" and "this color goes well with your hair"
Women who work for their money are just as concerned with gas mileage and cost of repairs and I bet they even know how to lift the hood and kick the tires.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today women are making a better name all women races, if that makes sense. We are all not like the "oh poor little o me" girls that we were all made out to be. Women are becoming better CEOs, Business Partners, and by that better negoiaters. I think we have some a long way, and that includes buying there on car!

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that what you are doing is a great idea. Because I don't know anything about cars and I wouldn't like to feel like someone is pressuring me to buy something I don't know anythign about.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that it is great that you help women get all the information they need to know in order to make the right decision for them. Because in the end if they are happy, then you will be happy.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Automobile Blog Top Sites Blog Directory Top 
Blog Sites Blog Directory & Search engine Listed in LS Blogs Blogarama - The Blogs Directory